Richblog

Sparse content — killing time, mostly...

Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Friday, March 04, 2005

Cunard RMS Samaria



When I was nearly 5 years old in early November 1952, accompanied by my mother and younger brother, Samaria brought three quarters of our family to Quebec City from Southampton in the U.K. — and the beginning of our new life in Toronto, Canada...

Likely, our routing in 1952 was: Southampton-Le Havre (or maybe Cherbourg)-Quebec, without a stop in Halifax.

Samaria embarked in the late afternoon, and I recall overhearing, or perhaps being told, that she would be calling in at one of the French channel ports overnight.



Apparently, our passage was very rough (not all that unusual on the North Atlantic in November), and the ship arrived in Quebec — on November 5, 1952 — a day or two behind schedule.  I don't know if Samaria continued to Montreal.

I can still vividly recall as a small boy, leaning on the rail at the stern of the ship. In the bright Fall sunshine Samaria steamed up the wide St. Lawrence in mid-channel, with the foaming wake below, and the small white habitations and dark forests on either shore.

 Almost exactly 40 years later, bound for Montreal from London, I duplicated that segment of the passage exactly. But this time I was at 20 or 30 thousand feet, returning home from a business trip — courtesy of Boeing and Air Canada.  As before, the granite bones of Quebec blazed with red and yellow — in sharp contrast to the narrow, inconsequential strips of cultivation along the banks of the great river below...



A few facts about the Samaria, gleaned from the Internet and included here in unedited form, unchecked for accuracy:

Sailings August 1955-March 1956 for:

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Mauretania, Caronia, Britannic, Ivernia, Saxonia, Parthia, Media, Franconia, Samaria, Scythia, Ascania

Ports of call:
  •  Southampton, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Cobh (Queenstown), Halifax, New York;
  •  Liverpool, Cobh, Halifax, New York;
  •  Southampton, Le Havre, Halifax, Quebec, Montreal; and
  •  Liverpool, Greenock, Halifax, Quebec, Montreal

Cunard's 19,700 ton Samaria was well known between the two world wars on the New York route, taking in Boston as well, and then later in the Canadian trade. Built to replace war losses, Samaria came into service on the Liverpool to Boston service.  Builders of Samaria were Cammell & Laird of Birkenhead.  Samaria joined her sister Scythia making her maiden voyage on the 19th April of 1922, Liverpool-Boston.

She was in a group of liners ordered by Cunard when it was trying to gain an edge over rival, the White Star Line, as North Atlantic services began to develop after the First World War.  

Generally Samaria and her sister ships, Scythia, Laconia, Franconia and Carinthia, were slower than ships of the pre-WWI era.  After the conflict, there was a feeling within the shipping industry that North Atlantic travel would be made at more economical speeds than those in use immediately prior to 1914.  The new liner could accommodate 350 first-class passengers, 350 second-class and 1,600 in third — and 435 crew

She was transferred to the Liverpool-Queenstown-Halifax-Boston service in 1926.  Samaria cruised out of London in 1934 and was taken up for war duties in 1939 and served as such until 1946.  As a troopship during the Second World War, Samaria carried more than 20,000 servicemen and steamed 250,000 miles.  As late as 1948 she was still returning Canadian troops and their families back to Canada.

After the post-war refit Samaria was switched to Southampton for the first time following Cunard's decision to provide a fortnightly service to Canada, with Scythia as her operating partner.  Passenger accommodation changed to 250 1st Class and 650 Tourist class in 1950. Samaria represented Cunard at the Fleet Review, Spithead, on the 15th of June 1953.  Samaria spent only five years on this route.

Samaria's Ship's Bell
By 1956 she was 35 years old and Cunard had her broken up at Inverkeithing, Firth of Forth.

Samaria’s ship’s bell (pictured on the right) is at present held by the Royal Artillery
Officers’ Mess, Canadian Forces Base Halifax, Nova Scotia  — although variously reported as having gone to the army museum in Halifax, NS; her mahogany panelling was bought for an RAF officers’ mess.

The dedication reads: ‘SHIP’S BELL OF R.M.S. ‘SAMARIA’ 1922-1956 PRESENTED TO EASTERN COMMAND OFFICERS MESS HALIFAX, N.S. BY THE CUNARD STEAM-SHIP COMPANY LIMITED APRIL 1956’. [Photo courtesy of Commander C.A.H. Darlington, Royal Canadian Navy (retired), Royal United Services Institute of Nova Scotia http://rusi.ca. © 2015 All rights reserved.]



Samaria Design Summary

These details are derived from NRP Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway, 5 vols, David & Charles, 1975-80, Cunard is covered in Volume 1,

Gross Tonnage - 19,730 tons
Dimensions - 600 x 74ft
Number of funnels - 1
Number of masts - 2
Construction - Steel
Propulsion - Twin-screw
Engines - Steam turbines (double-reduction geared), twin screw; 2,528 NHP, by builder
Service speed - 16 knots
Builder - 1922 by Cammell Laird & Co, Birkenhead
Launch date - 23 March 1920
Passenger accommodation - 350 1st class, 350 2nd class, 1,500 3rd class
Demise: Broken up at Inverkeithing, Firth of Forth, 1956. 


To get a sense of the size of Samaria relative to larger, better known vessels, the specifications for three very well known ships are included below.

Mauretania:

Gross tonnage: 31,938
 
Dimensions - 790x 88ft
Number of funnels - 4
Number of masts - 2
Machinery: Steam turbines geared to quadruple screw
Speed: 25 knots
Passenger accommodation - 560 First, 475 Second, 1,300 Third;
Built: Swan, Hunter, and Wigham Richardson Limited, Newcastle, England, 1907
Demise: Scrapped in Rosyth, Scotland, 1935


Titanic:

Gross tonnage: 46,329
Dimensions - 882 x 92ft
Number of funnels - 4
Number of masts - 2
Draft: 34 feet
Machinery: Steam triple-expansion engines geared to triple screws
Speed: 21+ knots
Passenger accommodation - 900 First, 565 Second, 1,100 Third
Built: Harland and Wolff Limited, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1912
Demise: Struck an iceberg on April 14, 1912 and sank the following morning.

Costa Concordia:

Gross Tonnage: 114,147
Dimensions - 952 x 116ft
Draft - 26ft
Machinery - 6 × Wärtsilä 12V46C, 102,780 hp (combined)
Propulsion - Diesel-electric; two shafts, Alstom propulsion motors (2 × 21 MW),  twin fixed pitch screws
Speed - 19.6 knots (service), 23 knots (maximum)
Passenger accommodation - 3,780
Crew - 1,100
Built - Fincantieri; Sestri Ponente yard in Genoa; launched in September 2005.
Demise - wrecked off the coast of Isola del Giglio in Italy in January 2012; declared a total loss and later towed to Genoa to be scrapped.

 
 
Titanic vs. Symphony of the Seas
 





































Labels:

56 Comments:

Blogger Ray Greaves said...

My mother, sister and I came to Canada in September 1953, landing at Quebec on September 19 that year. The trip was unusual in that the route took us through the Straights of Belle Isle and we collided with another vessel that was crossing the straights perpendicular to our course. I went up to the starboard deck as soon as possible after feeling the collision (around 6a.m.) and witnessed a rainbow coloured dawn. Upon disembarking, the damage to the bows were plainly visible with a great denting in the upper bow section.

11:09 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

My mother and I came from England to Canada in September of 1952 via the RMS Samaria - I was a young girl of 7. I am not quite sure where we landed but it was probably in Quebec. I have been trying to find a passenger list from that trip but haven't been able to.

My mother has passed away and I haven't been able to find the details I am looking for.

12:10 am  
Blogger Tregothnan said...

Hi Numerarius, Thanks for your blog. In 1955, at age eight, I was a passenger on Samaria with my parents and sister from Southampton to Quebec. I lived in Canada for the next 27 years but since 1982 I have made my home in Australia. I can still remember pinching ship's stationery from one of the passenger lounges so that we could make paper airplanes to throw over the side. All the best, Mike

8:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to Canada on the Samaria in March 1955 @ the age of 21/2...all i have is the original postcard of the ship...
audie

2:49 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

I am getting ready to leave on a cruise and wanted to get a perspective on the size of the ship we'll be taking as compared to my first sea voyage on the Samaria. I was five in December 1953 when my mother, sister and I departed Halifax for Southampton enroute to join my father who was stationed in Germany. Amid the North Atlantic gales, our mother was seasick in the cabin while my sister and I had this marvelous ship to explore.

7:19 pm  
Anonymous Archie said...

We (my mother and brother and I)came on the Samaria from Liverpool and arrived in Canada, May 19, 1953.
I still have good memories of that voyage, although I was only six at the time. I had forgotten the name of the ship and only when I received a copy of landing, for pension purposes, did I find out.

12:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My granny Lizzie O'Brien, a nurse at the time, at the age of 30 arrived at the port of Boston on the Samaria from Queenstown(Cobh) in Cork Ireland on the 7th of November 1927. She met my Grandad, an Irishman, while over in America, they married and they returned to Ireland in 1932. A year earlier the Samaria in heavy fog missed a detrimental collision with another liner by just 6 feet, one has to wonder about the wheels of chance?

6:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a crew member working as a Chef on RMS Samaria when she collided with another vessel.She suffered extensive bow damage and subsequently went for repair jn the Levis dry dock on other side of river opposite Quebec . The crew were shipped home on the Franconia before the St.Lawrence froze. Obviously this was prior to the new seaway. I still have many 1st. class Menus from Samaria and other Cunarders that I sailed on .

3:34 pm  
Anonymous Paul Kentish said...

My Great Grandfather was a performer on (at least) the Samaria, under the name of Bert Watson - aka Charles Henry Watson. He was billed as 'Entretemps of Comedy' and I have a concert programme with him on it!! Anybody remember him? Would love to know, as I'm researching my family tree and I'm not sure of travel dates.

5:46 am  
Anonymous Ron Burnett said...

Hi, I came on the Samaria at the same time arriving in Quebec City in November of 1952...I was also 5 years old and would love to know more about your memories.

9:17 pm  
Anonymous Mary H said...

I was on this ship, docked at Quebec City, June 9th 1949...looking for a passenger list?

8:22 pm  
Anonymous MarkLlewellyn said...

I too came to Canada on the Samaria in March 1955, at the age of 8. There was a terrific storm, and my first glimpse of Canada was coast guard cutter keeping station with us on our starboard side. We arrived in Halifax on March 19, but we stayed aboard and continued to New York, where we caught the train to Toronto (via Fort Erie). I officially landed in Canada in the early morning of March 22, 1955

5:21 pm  
Anonymous RobertWS said...

I sailed on the Samaria on a return trip from Southhampton to Quebec in the fall of 1953. I was 9 years old at the time. I remember the crossing very well as I was facinated by ships and boats of all discription and still am today. I remember an event in the Gulf of St.Lawrence during a storm. In the predawn hours we ramed a ship broadside. I believe it was a Norwagian frieghter causing significant damage to her side and our bow. I would love to get a passenger list of that trip.

7:01 am  
Anonymous Emil said...

I arrived in Quebec City, Canada on November 1st, 1948 on the Samaria with my parents and younger brother. I was 15 days short of my 2nd birthday. I believe that we sailed in all probability from Cuxhaven. I have no recollection of the voyage and would love to obtain a passengers list for that crossing.

12:25 am  
Blogger MT said...

My father, mother, younger brother, and I went across from Liverpool to Halifax on the Samaria in May? 1940, on our way to the West Indies. I must have been four. Liverpool was all blacked out; we had been driven across from Burnley, and I can remember a mill ablaze down in the Ribble Valley. I am told we left the convoy and went up round by Iceland to avoid the U boats. The one strange thing is that the records I have Googled says she was a troopship from 1939; but I remember two very nice stewardesses pointing out the lights of Halifax to us as we sailed in. It was totally new to me, seeing a city lit up at night.

5:35 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

October, 1953 ( I would be the tender age of 3 ) was when Mum, Dad, my sister and I sailed from Southampton to Quebec City.

12:30 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My mother, father sister and myself crossed on October, 1953. We landed in Quebec City.

12:32 pm  
Blogger Brian222 said...

I came to Canada July 24,1953..60 years ago today on the Samaria. Still have postcard, passenger list and a copy of the Menu for Monday, July 20, 1953. We stopped at Le Havre before going on to Quebec City.

9:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mother and Father travelled on the Samaria at two different times after the war. Mom Left Cuxhaven Germany I believe Sept 18/1948 for Canada and my Dad left Cuxhaven June 30/1949. They met here in Canada after.

7:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was April 1949 when our family sailed the stormy north Atlantic from Le Havre to Halifax. How would I get an old passenger list or other information

4:25 pm  
Anonymous Al Szawara said...

I was a six year old and arrived in Halifax on Dec 3, 1948 from Le Havre, having departed on Nov 25. It was a really stormy crossing and everyone except my older brother and I were sea sick.

12:30 pm  
Anonymous Ralph said...

I left Quebec City in Oct 1955 as a young Sapper going on a 2 year NATO tour to Germany.
I cannot remember the exact dates
of departure Quebec and arrival in Rotterdam.
The ship had a Battalion of the
Royal 22nd Regiment and 25 advance party Engineers and 30 replacements

7:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad was on the HMTS Samaria in 1948 when it was used as a Troop Ship on his way to Egypt. I o9ften read his diary of his time on board.

8:12 am  
Anonymous Ann Dudley Duncan said...

I was 11 yrs. Old when my parents, my older brother, myself Ann Dudley and also my younger sister sailed from Southhampton on November 18th, 1952. I don't remember going to Quebec City but I do remember that we went to Montreal where we boarded a TH&B train for Hamilton, Ontario.
PARENTS: Wilfred & Ethel Dudley, now both deceased
BROTHER: Wilfred Dudley Jr.
SISTER: Sheila Dudley
It was a fairly rough trip and there weren't many who didn't suffer from sea sickness! Oh, Happy Days!

2:07 pm  
Anonymous J.Madden said...

Whilst researching my family's history I came across a post card of S.S. Samaria sent to my parents by my mother's brother who,with his wife and young baby daughter, emigrated to Canada and settled in Guelph,Ontario. The post mark is dated 9/5/1952 and Le Havre. Although posted in France it carries a British stamp.

10:08 am  
Blogger Colin Darlington said...

Hi Rich - the SAMARIA bell is at present held by the Royal Artillery Officers' Mess, Canadian Forces Base Halifax, Nova Scotia. I have a picture, and am researching ships' bells in preparation of writing a short paper for the Royal United Services Institute of Nova Scotia. Do you have any more information further to your words "Her bell went to the army musem in Halifax"? The Army Museum Halifax Citadel checked their records and can find nothing. The University of Liverpool Library, which holds the Cunard archives, emailed that they have a SAMARIA file which "notes that the bell was transferred to the SCYTHIA at Southampton on 12th December 1955 to be taken to the General Manager’s Office in Liverpool." However, the researcher was able to find any correspondence to shed light on when or how the decision was made to present the bell to Canada. Yours aye, Colin Darlington, RUSI(NS)

8:49 pm  
Blogger RichC said...

Hi Colin. Thanks for your post. You're certainly on an interesting quest — but unfortunately, I have no information that would help out. The Samaria and I parted company in 1952, and the only info I have collected since was gleaned rather casually from the internet. Good luck with it! Rich.

11:06 pm  
Blogger RichC said...

Colin: Something I forgot to mention in the above reply — the original text referring to the ship's bell can be found here http://fromscotland.us/about/samaria/

I'm not sure if that is the original site that I used, but it looks to be the original text.

Rich.

11:13 pm  
Blogger Colin Darlington said...

Rich - VMT (Navy speak = very many thanks). I will follow up with the fromscotland site. By the way, if you wish an electronic copy of a photo of the SAMARIA bell, send me an email address via the contact form at http://RUSI.ca and I will email you. Exchanging addresses through the RUSI site ensures they are not publicly available. Cheers, Colin

7:47 am  
Blogger Brian222 said...

Good reading here. A further question...anyone landing at Quebec City know exactly where it was? Dock? Pier? My immigration card shows the number 241. Not sure what this means.

Also, do we have a final answer on the location of the ship's bell?

10:16 am  
Blogger Colin Darlington said...

SAMARIA's bell is currently at the Royal Artillery Park Officers' Mess, Canadian Forces Base Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. The bell was recently moved from a display niche near the bar (a gift from the departing Division Commander displaced the bell) and, I believe and will confirm, is being held by the mess manager pending decision of where next to display it. 4 September 2015

9:00 am  
Blogger Colin Darlington said...

Brian222 - information on immigration matters, and maybe the answer to your question about landing at Quebec City, can be found at the "Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21" (http://www.pier21.ca/). 4 September 2015

9:03 am  
Anonymous Kay Reeves said...

Hi thanks for publishing the pictures of the Samaria, through doing my family history I discovered that at the age of 5 months old I was transported on board when she was a troop carrier, my father was a soldier in the Cheshire Regiment based in Malta and my mother was Maltese my mother and I were air lifted to Gibraltar then transferred on board the Samaria we docked in Liverpool on the 24th July 1943, it was thrilling when I found our names on the passenger list.

7:14 am  
Blogger Brian222 said...

always good to see a comment on this site...we were on board in July 1953 and I remember my Dad pointing out Anticosti Island after we'd gone through the Straits of Belle Isle off the northern most tip of Newfoundland. I still have the ship's menu if anyone wants to know what we ate.
I can only imagine how nervous Mom and Dad were wondering if they'd made the right move or not. Turns out it was the best decision of his life.

9:16 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello....
My Dad left Bremenhaven Germany on October 25th, 1948 on The Samaria and landed in Quebec, he told us. He passed away a year ago, so I too, have been looking for a passenger list. However, I have since learned that any passenger lists for after 1935 are not available to the public, it seems. Something about the privacy policy or something.

8:33 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember sailing on the Samaria with my parents (I was 8 years old) from Southampton to Halafax in 1953. It was quite a rough crossing and the ship made a lot of loud 'creaking' noises. Meals were at large shared tables and I remember my first view of the coast of Canada. The ship only called at Halifax and was carrying on to New York.

5:44 am  
Blogger Brian222 said...

Good to see this site is still active.

6:40 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

With regard to my previous comments I should have mentioned that the ship also called at Le Havre before crossing the Atlantic to Halifax in Canada.

9:12 am  
Blogger Brian222 said...

We went Southampton, Le Havre, Quebec City. Landed July 24, 1953. I was 9 at the time and on the passenger list was given the title "Master".
From Quebec City to Markham, Ont by train. What was going through my parents minds at the time I can't imagine. Something like "What have we done?" My Dad though probably said "No going back now."

9:29 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

After landing at Halifax we travelled on by train to Toronto and then on to Brampton that was a small town near Toronto at that time (It is now vertually part of Toronto). Quite an adventure as we had come from Stranraer in South West Scotland.

10:20 am  
Blogger Brian222 said...

Did you have a contact in Brampton? We had a farmer/sponsor in Markham. Turns out he was looking for cheap labour and we left to stay with relatives in Aurora. That was a good move. We came from Wiltshire, England.

10:31 am  
Blogger Michaël said...

Doing genealogical research, I found out that my grand-father went to England from Gibraltar on 24th July 1943 on board of Samaria. Exactly the same day as Kay Reeves in the above comment !
My grand father left Belgium in 1941 when Germans arrived in our country. He passed through France and was captured in Spain. He was detained during almost one year from May 1942 to April 1943 in Miranda de Ebro. He was then released and could continue to Gibraltar where he took this ship to England. He then joined Allied troops and served in the Belgian forces from Normandy to Brussels in 1944.

1:19 pm  
Anonymous Ray Trivass said...

I was on the Samaria sailing First Class with my Mother and my younger brother from Port Said, via Haifa, Malta and Gibraltar to Liverpool,arriving 21st April1948. I was 5 years old!. I would be interested in any information such as Menus, ships personnel, other passengers,what have you. My father was a British Army officer who had been serving inTel-El-Kebir and was returning to UK although he did not travel with us.

8:36 pm  
Blogger Brian222 said...

To Ray,
I tried to send you a Samaria menu from July 1953 but my email didn't go through.

7:04 pm  
Anonymous Mark M said...

My dad was a US Army soldier who was on the Samaria when it was a troopship. He left from NY harbor on Feb.27, 1944 and arrived in Liverpool on March 10.

9:15 pm  
Blogger Tregothnan said...

Hi Rich, My family sailed on the Samaria in 1955. We left Southhampton on Friday, July 29th, took on more passengers at Le Havre the next day and arrived at Quebec City on Saturday, August 6th. I was eight years old at the time. My parent had both served during WWII, Dad as a paratrooper with the British 8th Army, my Mum as a lorry driver with ATS. Together with my younger sister we were embarking on a new life in Canada. We settled in Saint John, New Brunswick where my Dad had a brother. The youngest member of our family, my brother, was born in 1955 - the only native born Canadian among us. I attended Saint John High School and later graduated from Mount Allison University. In 1982 I emigrated (again), this time to Australia. We live in semi-tropical Queensland, a far cry from Saint John, NB, but still have many friends and family members back in Canada.

8:31 pm  
Blogger RichC said...

Thx for sharing, Tregothnan. We have a little in common: my dad was also a serviceman during WWII (RAF, airframe fitter) and I have siblings born in the U.K and here in Canada.

Our family's home was Downsview, a suburb of Toronto. Congratulations on your choice of climate. I now live In Ottawa — alleged to be the world's coldest national capital...!

8:42 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My father (aged 13), along with two cousins, sailed on the Samaria - presumably from Liverpool - and arrived in New York on 8 July 1940. He spent five terms at a school in New Hampshire before returning in early April 1942 - but I haven't got the name of the ship that he returned on. Sadly he spoke very little of this period of his life. 80 years later I have to admire anyone of that age who could cope with such a dislocation and remain as cheerful as his hosts described him to be.

6:18 am  
Anonymous Mike said...

Hi! Very glad to see your infos on the Samaria.I also sailed on it once when I was five years old, but in the other direction.My parents had decided to emigrate to Canada when I was four and we left on the Ascania. That was in 1954. after eight months living with an uncle in Toronto (Evens avenue if my memory serves me still a little bit) things were not working out so we returned to Britain. That was on the Samaria.
One direction or the other those two Atlantic crossing impressed my mind with lifelong memories. I can still see those big mid-Atlantic waves, green and crested with creamy foam. It was in the dining rooms that I tasted grapefruit for the first time and every morning after that at breakfast. Today, whenever I eat a grapefruit or drink the juice without sugar I'm back in that dining room again at the age of seventy now.
All that just to say thanks a lot. Did you do a lot of research?

9:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some family correspondence and until the pandemic messed things up I was planning to visit the school that he went to in New Hampshire and also to visit Camp X just outside Toronto where one of my father's first cousins was an instructor from 1943 to early 1944 when he was brought back to do pre D Day stuff in France. So if it happens it will be a bit of a pilgrimage. As I get seasick quite easily I think that flying might be better than sailing!! But it all depends on how the UK, USA and Canada manage the virus. But if it looks like it might happen I will need to do more research!!

10:11 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

In April 1939 my farther who was living in Liverpool joined the crew of Samaria as a steward aged 14. He did a few trips to New York from Liverpool on the vessel until WW2 commenced. He was transferred onto other various vessels throughout the war. He continued to work at sea in the Merchant Navy for a further 52 years. Samaria gave him his sea legs.

10:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:45 am  
Blogger Brian222 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:09 am  
Blogger RichC said...

Thx Brian222.

11:14 am  
Blogger yasahirojacey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:12 am  
Blogger waldpaduano said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home